Experts agree, improving the health of a community which ultimately needs to begin with you. As a first step in turning our vision into reality, we’re excited to announce on February 24th the Tampa Bay “Walk to the Moon” Challenge. The Walking Challenge will kick off a new, bold and inspirational national initiative, called “The Race to a Healthy America.” Inspired by “The New Health Age”, the Walking Challenge wants to ignite enthusiasm for a healthier lifestyle leading to a prolonged quality of life. A healthier Tampa Bay, and a healthier America, is good for us all!
Our Regional Goal…to the Moon - 238,857 miles
To help us reach this goal, we have set recommended distance goals based on your company size. For each individual, we recommend 2 miles of walking/running or 30 minutes of other activity, 5 days/week for 7 weeks.
Teams can be an entire company, smaller teams within a corporation, neighborhood teams, book club teams, family teams, etc. There is no limit to team size. If you live/work in the eight-county Tampa Bay region…then, help us reach our goal!
The Challenge kicks off on Wednesday, April 4th in conjunction with the American Heart Association’s “Start Walking Day” and runs for 7 weeks through Wednesday, May 23rd.
ONE BAY has partnered with the American Heart Association’s Start Walking Now program to register our teams. Just follow these simple steps to get started:
- Assign a point person from your Company to be the Team Leader. Or grab a friend or neighbor or sister or father, form your own team and pick a team leader.
Click here to register your Team Leader.
- An American Heart Association representative will call the team leader to guide you through the process using their Start Walking Now website and online activity tracker.
- Team members register individually on the site and log their daily activity. The site has a conversion for activities other than walking and converts them into steps, which will be converted into miles and counted toward our goal.
For Individual Registrants:
- Register anytime at https://www.startwalkingnow.org/registration.jsp .
- Click Register (orange tab)
- Fill in required fields (Name, email, etc.)
- For Company Name field, click link "search for company." Input ONE BAY. A search box will appear. Input ONE BAY again and choices will appear in the drop-down list. Select ONE BAY WALK CHALLENGE
- For Dept/Team field, enter Connect Your Cause
- Create a password
- Enter your height and weight - Note: this info remains confidential and is only used to convert non-walking physical activities into steps.
- In order to win prizes, it is important that you select the first box under Preferences. No one will see your confidential information, this is necessary in order to your activity to be credited to you as part of the Walk Challenge. If this is not checked, your name will not be in the drawings for prizes.
- Click Submit
- You will receive and email with a guide to using your tracking too
- Dinners for two at Bonefish, Carrabba’s and Outback
- Golf Foursomes at Westchase
- Florida Aquarium Wild Dolphin Eco Tour and passes for four
- Walking to the Moon? Take a detour with resort weekend get-aways presented byTravelocity and participating hotels! All people who post activity that week will be eligible to win. Drawings will be on Wednesday afternoons.
§ Grand Hyatt – Tampa
§ Sheraton Riverwalk – Tampa
§ Hyatt Regency – Clearwater Beach
§ Sunset Vistas – Treasure Island
§ Wyndham Gardens – Clearwater Beach
§ Sheraton Sand Key – Clearwater Beach
§ Alden Suites – St. Pete Beach
§ Don Cesar – St. Pete Beach
§ Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa Downtown
Five Winning Teams (based upon team size)
- For each winning Team leaders: A 3-month Y pass
- For each member of a winning team : A 1-one month Y pass
- Walk to the Moon Plaque
Individual Grand Prizes: In mid-May, we will ask people to nominate those that have made the most sustainable change to their health, and to give us two-three sentence as to why. People will then vote on the change they like the most and the winners will receive the prizes below.. (So, make sure your nominee is proud of their accomplishment and doesn’t mind your sharing it!)
§ One year membership to the YMCA (8 prizes: one per county)
§ Tradewinds Deluxe Vacation
§ Humana - TWO $500.00 Apple gift certificates to use for an iPad or whatever you want!